A pocket knife is a great tool for daily life purposes. It is foldable, so it can easily fit in a bag or a pocket. Pocket knives are multi-functional tools as these can be used to open cans, cut ropes and many more other things. To use it properly, you need to take care of it. It will last longer with proper care.
You need to know how to operate it. Proper knowledge of how to close a pocket knife safely is a part of that. There are many different types of pocket knives. How you close will depend on the type of knife that you have. Now, we will discuss how to open and close a pocket knife.
Types of Pocket Knives
Different pocket knives serve different purposes. They can be categorized based on their blade type or shape.
Now let’s discuss different types of the pocket knife.
- The Clip point: This one is a popular type. It has a sharp tip. So, it is good for piercing or puncturing.
- The Drop Point: This blade’s spine is straight. Towards the point, it slopes down. This knife is good for cutting, carving, or skinning.
- The Pen Blade: These blades are good for small tasks. It is small, and its point looks like a spear.
Among pocket knives, these are the most popular.
Types of knife locks
Different types of knives have different locking methods. Let’s look at some types of knife locks-
- Slip Joint: This Knife has a handle and one or multiple folding blades. They are light, so they aren’t good for heavy tasks.
- Lockback Knife: It has a metal spine on top of the handle. It has a unique part. This part fits into a notch and the notch locks the knife. There’s a spring that applies pressure. It keeps the knife open.
- Frame lock: For a frame lock, a part of the knife’s outside frame acts as the lock, keeping it open. It locks automatically after pulling the blade.
- Liner lock: This one is almost the same as a frame lock. It has an inner linear. It holds the blade open.
Step-by-Step Process of Opening a Knife
Follow these steps to open a knife safely-
Step 1: Most knives have a thumb stud at the bottom.
Step 2: Hold the knife in the palm.
Step 3: Place the thumb on the stud. Put pressure on it and gently release the blade.
Step 4: Lock the blade after it is fully open.
Step 5: There is no locking mechanism on certain pocket knives. In that case, push the thumb stud at the left side until it can’t move anymore.
How to close a pocket knife?
Now closing a pocket knife is trickier. The method varies from one type to another. Now, we will discuss how to close a folding knife properly.
- How to close a switchblade: Switchblades are automatic knives. There are four types of a switchblade. Closing a switchblade is almost the same for all types. First, either push or pull the lever. Hold the blunt side of the blade. Push the blunt side. The knife will fold inward. After the blade is completely sheathed, release the lever.
- How to close a Husky knife: Husky Pocket knife is small but extremely sharp. It has a replaceable blade with a spring lock mechanism. Closing a husky knife is similar to closing a Side-opening switch knife. Push the blunt side inward until the blade is fully inside the frame.
- How to close a Lockback knife: Use one finger and press on the spine on top of the handle. The spine would be free of the notch as a result.
- How to close a Framelock knife: Check the frame. Push on the lock. Push the blade down after the locking part is open.
- How to close a slip joint knife: Just apply pressure to the blunt side.
- How to close a Liner lock knife: Search for the inner liner. Push it aside. After that, push the blade down. Guidesman knife is a popular liner lock knife.
There are some popular knives known as the Butterfly knife and Gravity knife. But in many cities, they are considered illegal. But if you are an adult and live in Mississippi, you can own a butterfly knife or gravity knife. Mississippi knife laws don’t restrict ownership of knives for adult people.
How to fix a pocket knife that won’t close?
Pocket knives are versatile tools. But after using it for a long time, they will have some problems functioning eventually. The most common issue is that they don’t always close properly. The key to fix this problem is to identify the problem itself. Examine the knife thoroughly. Check the frame, blade, and pivot joint. After you identify the problem, try to fix it.
The most common causes that stop the blade from closing are debris, rust, and manufacturing defects. If a piece of debris is causing the problem, use a piece of wire to remove it. Try a blow-dryer if the material is loose. Just make sure to remove it completely.
If you can’t find anything wrong with the knife, then take it apart to find the issue. It is a complex process, do it slowly. Don’t forget to keep the parts safe. If you lose even one part, it will be impossible to reassemble.
If the pivot joint is rusty, remove the rust. You can do it without disassembling it. But it is better to take apart the knife. This way you can clean it precisely.
Sometimes the pivot joint just breaks. If that is the case, buy a new one. Fixing the pivot joint is a complex process, and there’s no guarantee that the knife will be fully functional.
Tips for closing any pocket knife
Well, you can see it is important to understand the locking mechanism of your knife. There are a few more suggestions that you can use:
- Before you use your knife, make sure it’s in good condition.
- Clean the knife and lubricate the joints.
- Check for rust, damage as well as broken parts at all times.
- After each use, clean the knife. Rust can form on a dirty or wet knife.
- Always be careful when you open or close a knife. Keep your fingers away from the sharp side of the blade.
- Take good care of the knife. Perform regular checks and maintenance.
- Don’t use the knife for tasks that it can’t perform. If you use a small knife for a heavy task, it may break.
- Always close it after your work with it is done. Don’t pass it to other people when it is open.
- When you purchase a new pocket knife, practice opening and closing it.
FAQ‘s: close a pocket knife
What should you check on a pocket knife before using it?
Always check for rust, any kind of damage, or broken parts before you use a pocket knife. These things cause the knife to malfunction or become less effective. Sometimes they may cause harm to the owner of the knife.
Should you clean a pocket knife after each use?
Yes. Always clean your pocket knife after using it. A wet or dirty knife is dangerous to use. Dry it after cleaning. Lubricate the joints sometimes. Close the knife only after it is completely dry. Make sure that your knife is safe to use.
Pocket knives are useful yet dangerous tools. These are getting popular for their multifunctional uses. Remember, you need to take care of it to use it effectively. It will last a long time only by taking good care. Close the knife and store it safely after you use it. Learn how to use a knife first before buying one. By following the discussions stated above, you will learn how to close a pocket knife and properly maintain it.